CALL FOR ARTISTS
“CHALK THE BOARDWALK”
Hosted by the Steveston Community Society and the City of Richmond
We would like to invite professional and amateur artists, visual art organizations, charities, and societies to celebrate Canada Day in Steveston for the Second Annual Chalk the Boardwalk competition.
Over 70,000 people are expected to flock to Steveston for the 71st Annual Steveston Salmon Festival celebrations on July 1st. Events include a Parade, Citizenship Ceremony, Children’s Festival, Main Stage Entertainment, Youth Rock Fest, Japanese Cultural Show, and the famous Salmon BBQ, while schooners, steamships, and a hovercraft make an appearance at the docks at Imperial Landing and Britannia Shipyards. Steveston’s day of festivities will be topped off with a spectacular fireworks show over the Fraser River.
Applications are now being accepted for our Second Chalk the Boardwalk celebration, featuring original sidewalk art to help animate Steveston Village along Imperial Landing at the waterfront. Interested parties are asked to submit their online registration under the name of the art organization or the lead artist (working party not to exceed 4 people) to represent their organization or team.
Artists will be provided with:
- 10' × 10' tent for shade
- 4 lunch coupons for one of the Ships to Shore food trucks
- As we are working to create a sustainable event, please bring your own water bottle; water refill stations are available on site.
- A Swag Bag will be provided for each team and will include several Boxes of Chalk, a Chalk the Boardwalk event T-Shirt for each participating artist, as well as other gifts courtesy of Phoenix Art Workshop.
- Artists will be expected to start working at 10:00 AM and have their work complete by 4:00 PM for review by the judges.
- An 8' x 8' painting location will be designated for each competing artist or team.
- Works will be reviewed by our panel and a $500 cash prize will be awarded to the winning team by the Steveston Community Society
- Best Youth Award provided by Phoenix Art Workshop
- Coffee and muffins will be provided in the morning, and participants are invited to an artist reception at the studio followed by the annual firework display.